Sigma Delta Pi's
College of Charleston's and The
Citadel's chapters of Sigma Delta Pi, the National
Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, are proud to announce their 8th annual
South Carolina Spanish Teacher of the Year Award for 2012. The three finalists
will be recognized and the awardee announced during a ceremony on
All three finalists will receive award plaques courtesy of the College of Charleston's and The Citadel's chapters of Sigma Delta Pi, and each finalist and their guests (one guest per finalist) will receive complimentary lodging the evening of November 8 and breakfast on November 9 courtesy of the
Nominees may be self-nominated.
must accompany the official
1) Justification for Nomination (self-nominations permitted)
In a typed attachment, please explain in two pages or less why you believe this nominee deserves recognition as the 2012 South Carolina Spanish Teacher of the Year. Be sure to highlight his/her unique qualities as a teacher and his/her impact on students (see "Judging Criteria" below).
2) Letters of Recommendation
In addition to this form and its accompanying "Justification for Nomination," please include two letters of recommendation from people familiar with the nominee's contributions to language teaching; one of these letters must come from an administrator (see "Judging Criteria" below).
3) Current CV of
Include an updated cv (résumé) of the candidate as it reflects activities related to this teaching distinction.
Nominees will be judged on the following:
1) Evidence of innovation in teaching.
2) Role and/or initiative in Spanish curriculum development.
3) Role and/or initiative in extra-curricular activities related to teaching and/or spreading the Hispanic language and/or culture in the school where employed.
4) Role and/or initiative in extra-curricular activities where employed related to teaching and/or spreading the Hispanic language and/or culture in the community, not the school.
5) Evidence of esteem of colleagues.
6) Evidence of esteem of students.
7) Evidence of love of teaching.
8) Evidence of general sacrifices made for the teaching mission.
9) Evidence of subject mastery.
10) Evidence of professional development.
By Friday, June 22, 2012, send one (1) copy of 1) the official nomination form (click to download), 2) the justification for nomination, 3) two letters of recommendation and 4) the nominee's current cv (résumé) must be sent to:
Mark P. Del Mastro
Director, South Carolina Spanish Teacher of the Year Award
Hispanic Studies, College of Charleston
66 George St.
Charleston, S.C. 29424-0001
These nomination materials may also be e-mailed to Dr. Mark P. Del Mastro, Founding Director: firstname.lastname@example.org